Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Intangible

A loyal reader has tossed this word at me. I'm catching it and running with it. This word is a bit of a paradox - we can see it, read it and speak it yet it refers to those things that we cannot discern or observe.

This evening I had tea with a woman from my synagogue whom I've been getting to know in our Rosh Chodesh group, a monthly women's gathering centering on spirituality. Both of us are trying to focus our attention on gratitude and appreciation and I saw her as a fellow traveler along a difficult path. It is very challenging, when accustomed to looking at the world, and the people, places and objects in it, as something that needs fixing or improvement, to try to notice all that is positive in our lives. I must constantly refocus my eye, which gravitates to details and loves to linger on the miniscule flaw, and zoom out and see the basically good big picture.

Another thing this woman and I share is our sensitivity to the vibrations of people and places, what for others might be completely intangible. She and I are a bit like Goldilocks, needing to try many chairs, porridges and beds before finding the ones that are "just right". Sometimes I envy people who can find a place to live in a short amount of time, can enjoy almost any situation and are at ease with a lot of people. If they have an inner sensor, it is not blinking yellow or flashing red as much as mine and hers do, or maybe these people have just decided to ignore it.

No comments: