Saturday, December 22, 2007

Immediate, Internet

Despite the few comments this blog has inspired so far, I know people are reading it - or at least looking at the pages - based on statistics I receive. And sometimes people in my real life approach me with a question based on something they've read here, which temporarily throws me for a loop since - without a ton of comments - I don't know who, exactly, is reading this on a regular basis.

Having become accustomed to a practically invisible audience, and to my near anonymity in this space, I was quite taken aback to receive a comment on my last post about my experience in a focus group from a person at the company who organized the event. I had forgotten that news travels fast, if not immediately, on the Internet, with Google news alerts and other ways to track who is writing about what. And as much as I would enjoy having more people comment on my writing, it felt a bit strange to get a response from a corporate person on what had been until now a fairly intimate and personal endeavor.

2 comments:

rbarenblat said...

I'm sorry to be such a silent reader! I don't miss a post, and I really enjoy reading your reflections, and yet I so rarely seem to take the time to respond in words.

I can imagine this being pretty surreal, yeah. It still startles me when my mother emails me to comment on a blog post of mine. *g*

Ilona Fried said...

Hi Rachel - Thanks for the encouragement. You don't have to apologize...you've commented a few times. More often than not I'm a silent reader of your blog, too, sometimes because what I would write is similar to the other comments you receive. But that's my ego (wanting to say something "different") getting in the way of letting you know that I appreciate your writing.