Sunday, September 30, 2007

Integration

Somewhat dissatisfied by my Sukkot experience of shaking the lulav in a not very mindful fashion, I went online to read more about the meaning of the plants and fruit that form the core of this ritual.

The lulav (palm branch) is flanked on either side by branches of myrtle and willow. According to one rabbinic video on the subject, myrtle leaves are shaped like eyes, willow leaves like mouths, and the lulav itself is like a spine, straight but flexible. The etrog (citron) represents the heart. We can choose to use each of these parts of ourselves for goodness....or not. Does our heart lust after things and people, or do we open our hearts to other people? Do we choose to see the good in others or to use our eyes to find flaws? And, most importantly, can we integrate these parts of ourselves so that we're acting as a whole individual, not a person who feels one thing yet says and does another. Had I been more aware of the symbolism at the time that I joined the etrog to the lulav and waved them in six directions, I might have felt more open to the experience and to imbuing it with my own meaning.

Integration is something for which I strive. In a popular culture that encourages us to act from our heads, not our hearts, that appeals to our material lusts rather than spiritual needs, and that treats the body as an entity distinct from mind and soul, it is very easy to disconnect from one's true self, to dis-integrate. I don't believe that is an exaggeration or overstatement - people can and do fall apart when they can no longer hear what their heart and soul are trying to telling them. Yoga is a means by which I am trying to link myself back together, to bring all the seemingly disparate pieces of myself into a coherent whole and to learn to act from a place that is located between my crotch and my clavicle, not above my neck. For decades I gave my head veto power over what the rest of me wanted to do, and it's about time that my decision making authority be transferred to a more appropriate place: my heart. But first I need to flex my heart muscles some more, because after years of being ignored it has atrophied somewhat and isn't always in a position to override my highly trained brain.

One of my main heart-head struggles has had to do with my level of observance of Judaism. My heart is increasingly inclined to observe the Sabbath in some fashion, not necessarily strictly adhering to Jewish law but also not doing things that explicitly violate the Sabbath, like working. Having had a retail business for the last few years which relied primarily on weekend, and especially Saturdays, for selling, I've found myself with a conundrum on my hands, especially with the holiday sales season approaching. In American culture, Saturday is a much busier shopping day than Sunday.

Yesterday I decided to do an event at my studio, but started it late enough so that I could attend Torah study at my synagogue and stay for the shacharit (morning) service, one of my favorites. But leaving synagogue mid-way through the morning felt unsatisfying, and the fact that I didn't open my studio until 12pm meant that fewer people came. Both experiences were compromised.

And I was somewhat bewildered, in an amused way, by the fact that I (presumably a single individual) had had such a diverse day yesterday, beginning with the study of the Book of Ecclesiastes ("Vanity of Vanities, All is Vanity!"), followed by the intense chanting of morning prayers, to the sale of my jewelry (in which I felt Ecclesiastes' sense of futility), to attendance at a highly frivolous event celebrating marshmallow Fluff, during which a college friend treated me to chocolate ice cream with Fluff, boosting my blood sugar levels to heights not recently experienced, and ending with an outing with a new friend to hear the band Sol y Canto, whose lead singer also attended my college, perform.

I got home close to midnight and all of us - the studier of Torah, the chanter of prayer, the businesswoman, the friend, the Fluff-lusting inner child and my Latina persona - went to bed.

5 comments:

Kobayashi Maru said...

Quite a journey... and all in a few days! A few quick (and thoroughly unintegrated thoughts:

Ecclesiastes is definitely one of those books that, taken alone, can leave one feeling adrift (I speak from experience!) The stuff about 'vanity' can be translated just as well (I'm told) as 'vapor', removing its pride/sin connotations and emphasizing the futility of any human action or ritual for the purposes of cleansing us in God's sight.

In the Christian tradition, that message (and the timing of the book's writing in history) are prelude to addressing those cosmic concerns in the person of Jesus as Messiah: I.e., only by his intervention on our behalf do we ever really get clean and right with God. As the ultimate integration of physical body and spirit, Jesus also addresses the hopelessness of the "life is pointless and stupid then you die so maybe I'll just let my car keep running in the closed garage" ethic that pervades Ecc, replacing it with the liberating, even joyous notion that this life we live, while important, is just a pale shadow: a short warm-up to THE LIFE EVERLASTING and so don't worry about perfection; just humbly ask God's forgiveness. (Incidentally, his physical incarnation also addresses the vapor-like qualities of a lot of New Age/Eastern stuff.
(continued next)...

Kobayashi Maru said...

(continued from previous)
Re. struggles with observance: you're in good company! (Gen 22:22-32) And not to get too pushy here (it's your blog) but if you're willing to peek into the most Jewish part of the Christian scriptures for a second, you might find this thought -provoking (Matthew 6:24, Jesus speaking:

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

Trust me, I'm still working on that one!! As you know, 'I', there was a time when it was very clear who my master was and 'he' was most definitely money. Ultimately, I take that passage as being about where you choose to center your attitude and passion, and not so much the physical act of practicing of your vocation. It's possible to be working and be focused on God or to be physically at worship but be very much focused on all things other than God.

Another thought: you honor God by using the gifts He has given you if you acknowledge where they came from and consider how those gifts can be applied towards His glory. He doesn't want you to starve or fail to pursue your talents...

...none of which answers your question, but that answer will need to come from God himself. I'll pray for your discernment in this matter.

Oh, and happy Sukkot! (Now I'm remembering the reason for all of this spontaneous amateur yard construction in my neighborhood!) :) Kinda cool. We just have dead evergreen trees, entirely devoid of any scriptural origins. ;-)

Ilona Fried said...

Hi KM - thanks for reading and commenting, even though the template bugs your eyes!

From a meditator's point of view, Ecclesiastes can be interpreted in a liberating way. There is a time and a season for everything, he writes, suggesting that we live fully right NOW. If you need to cry, then cry. If it is a time to celebrate, dance! Ruining the current moment with worries about the future or rehashing the past, or judgments about how things are "supposed to be", is not a recipe for a full life. Life/nature are cyclical, and things keep coming around and passing away. Best to be fully here to experience what is, knowing that it is impermanent. For Westerners used to the idea of relentless linear progress, the cyclicality of life (and that life ends!) can be difficult to accept. For Jews, this life is it!! Might as well enjoy it.

Appreciate your comments on God and Money. For me the issue is more about how/when/where to express my Jewish identity; it's not as if I made gobs of money selling jewelry on Saturdays, but it was part of how I was expressing my God-given visual creativity. And also, many people who make use of their full talents enjoy material wealth as a result. So, if one does find God, one might also start attracting more physical forms of abundance. Thanks for including the passage about Jacob - Jews today are still "God wrestlers". Each generation and each person has to struggle with these questions.

Kobayashi Maru said...

OK, 'I', I'm back. It's your fault if I go blind reading this thing. (Could we try pastels maybe??) ;-)

You sparked another thought relative to the post you commented on on my blog and that is: recycling versus forward motion towards an ultimate fulfillment (both personally and historically). Are there parallels between our cosmic viewpoints and our views on earthly obligations? Just a thought...

It may just be my Christian upbringing, but it just seems natural that we were made for more than this and that either a) my ceasing to exist at death or b) my coming 'round again as a bug or another person is, well... wrong.

As CS Lewis wrote, the explanation for needs unfulfilled and unfulfillable on this earth (e.g., perfect love, perfect communication, complete lack of loneliness, complete joy, etc.) is that we are actually foreigners here, away from our home with God, implying also that we are meant to go back (a linear not a cyclical process).

Oh, re. the color talent: that helps explain why customers loved you in that other industry we both participated in! :)

Ilona Fried said...

Hi again - At my Yom Kippur retreat one of the rabbis quoted some author (whose name escapes me!) who wrote that we are Angels with Anuses...we are here on earth, struggling with our dual nature as heavenly beings and animals. Yes, we have these unfillable yearnings (and moments of grace) yet often we are bogged down in our bodies. The question is do we let this situation cause/create suffering in ourselves? This where Zen meditation comes in handy, to help us see dualities for what they are and end suffering NOW. And after we die I think we live on in the hearts of people who are still around, and maybe our spirit gets added to the ether, somehow. At the moment I am more concerned with getting myself 100% here now, because often my mind is elsewhere!

PS I think customers loved me because I was conscientious and way too responsible for my own good...they picked their own colors! ;-)