Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Insomnia, II

One would think that after a week of intense physical work - painting, moving cartons and containers from an attic to a car and then carrying them up another two flights of stairs (repeat 5 times), culminating in today's mattress move - that I would have fallen fast asleep tonight on my reassembled bed.

Alas.

My body is exhausted beyond belief, my fingers and forearms aching from effort, but my mind is going a mile a minute. So, here I am, finding some solace at the keyboard, hoping to fake out my brain a bit and convince it to slow down enough so that it will let me rest. Luckily, there is a wireless network I can hop onto.

My apartment is conveniently located, within walking distance of a post office, a few grocery stores, thrift shops and a small downtown area with a bakery, UPS Store and some restaurants. All this convenience comes with a price - the house in which my apartment is located is on a busy street, and even at 3:42 a.m. there are still cars speeding by. I might need to stock up on earplugs (perhaps buy stock in earplugs?) if I am going to be comfortable here.

One of my insomnia strategies is to change venues, to try to sleep somewhere other than the place where the insomnia climbed into bed with me....I figure, maybe if I quietly go somewhere else, I will leave it behind. I plopped down on my futon couch and covered myself with a colorful throw that my aunt made for me a few years ago. My relaxation was interrupted by unmistakable snores from one of the two guys who live in the apartment below me, despite the fact that my apartment is carpeted (I hate carpeting, but thought - on the bright side - that it might create a sound barrier). It is a bit odd to be hearing such an intimate sound from someone I've met just once. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "noisy neighbor".

Do I bang on the floor so that he'll turn over and possibly stop?

I am going to go back to bed and ponder that question, hopefully falling asleep in the process.

No comments: