Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Instant Joy

This afternoon I went to my local post office to mail some mosaics and some show applications and to pick up a gift a friend had sent me. I arrived to find a long line of sullen looking people and only three clerks on duty. I passed some of the time by reading a copy of the neighborhood newspaper that had been left on the counter. As the line inched along it continued to expand behind me; by the time it was my turn the queue was nearly to the door.

I'm sure the people behind me were not pleased by the fact that I had four packages to mail, each requiring slightly different treatment and therefore additional conversation. The process was further slowed by the fact that the clerk was hearing impaired - so said the sign at the counter - and my effort to speak clearly didn't always succeed. Finally, after some repetition and clarification, all the packages had been metered and affixed with delivery confirmation stickers.

Then I presented the clerk with my slip of paper so she could retrieve the item my friend had mailed. I knew what it was, as my friend had e-mailed me the tracking information. After checking my ID the clerk went to the back, found the item, and returned to the counter bearing a hoola hoop, wrapped in brown paper for its postal journey, and with a diameter of more than three feet.

As I turned to leave, hoop in hand, I noticed big smiles on the faces of the people waiting patiently in the line behind me. Even one of the clerks broke into a grin. Seeing their reactions dissolved my own blah mood, and for a moment I was walking on air.

2 comments:

Bailahoops said...

yes! This happened to me too (I actually go to school in Denver). I had ordered a hula hoop online cause I hadn't yet figured out how to make them and when I was told by my school post office that my hoop had arrived, I went to go pick it up. The mail clerk informed me that they had been playing with it and it was great! I smiled, glad that my purchase could make someone else smile, and left. I then saw the UPS delivery man who had delivered my hoop having lunch in the student union. He smiled at me and informed me that even the UPS people had a go with the hoop and that they had all enjoyed it. I can't believe how fired up peeople got about this hoop! I thought about ordering one and just never picking it up so the mail clerks could play. haha.
--Laura

Ilona Fried said...

That's a great idea - randomly mailing hoola hoops to post offices across the U.S.